- 2 13×9″ cakes – or we used 1 pan of brownies and 1 pan of cake (greek yogurt cake!)
- 8 cupcakes (again I used my greek yogurt cake recipe) – I made 24, used 8 for the cake, and then just frosted the rest of the cupcakes to look like Toadstools! They were pretty cool too!
- 4 Ice Cream Cones – We used green, to look like Bowser Castle
- 6-8 Hershey bars
- 1 Kit Kat Bar
- Super Mario Brothers – 12 pc Collectible Figure Set – by Nintendo
- Double Batch of my Chocolate Buttercream frosting (you will need another batch to frost the rest of your cupcakes, if wanted!)
- Marshmallows, whoppers, bamboo skewers/toothpicks (optional)
Stack 2 cupcakes on top of each other and place on each corner of the cake. (use frosting in between to stack!) You can frost the cupcakes all the way around, if you want. I think my cupcakes would have just crumbled, and become crumby, so we didn’t do it 😛 Still looked fine and the kids didn’t care they weren’t covered in frosting
Use the Hershey Bars to stick into the side of the cake, to create bricks (snap the bars into “bricks” and place on cake) – do it fairly soon after frosting, before the frosting starts to get dry/harden. We put the Hershey Bars in the freezer for a few minutes, so they wouldn’t melt in our hands and would snap into “bricks” easier – you will also have to cut some “bricks” in half. The boys helped place the bricks and had a great time! Create your gate/doorway first, and then place the “bricks” around the cake like walls of a castle. We then turned some “bricks” on their side and stuck them around the top of the cake, to give the top a castle like border. The boys also created at “cage” for the Princess on the top of the cake out of the “bricks.”
Use the KitKat as a drawbridge
We placed the cones on top of the cupcakes at the corners. Use frosting to stack. We did have to use some bamboo skewers to keep them from falling over
We also had some whoppers in the cones to look like bombs or cannon balls, and used some marshmallows to look like clouds. Used a small amount of frosting to stick the characters to the foil covered cutting board.
Easy to do and Fun to make – I mean the 7 and 3 year old did half of the decorating!